Tuesday 22 September 2009

Just a quickie

This is just a quickie blog - just a in-betweeny-note - my main rambling blog will be posted tomorrow.

About two months ago, whilst I was still at work, the local contact for Macmillan got in touch with me asking if I would be able to help with some publicity with two events - one to be held locally and the other a national event.  I said I was more than happy to assist.  I was also able to provide contact details of my counterparts in neighbouring organisations so that the Macmillan representative could call them and spread the promotion even further.  He was really grateful for my help and sent me a note with the publicity materials thanking me profusely.

Two months on, since that phone call, the first local event has been and gone and the next event is due to take place on Friday.  Oh and of course I have, rather ironically, been diagnosed with cancer myself. 

Last year Macmillan held their annual coffee morning - I can't say I really remember it  - as this time last year the work of Macmillan hadn't really hit my radar.  I may have made a contribution, I may not.   However, I can now tell you that 45,000 people did do an incredible job by holding coffee mornings and, together with their family, friends and colleagues, raised over £7.5 million.

This year I can tell you about Macmillan. Macmillan befriends thousands of people who are effected by cancer in one way or another.  It provides support to patients, to friends and family of those with cancer and to professionals who work with those with cancer.  Macmillan offers valuable emotional help, factual information, financial guidance.  This is provided in person, by phone and online, via information and support groups and through publications.

Now that I am on the other side of the fence, I want to continue my support of Macmillan by promoting their coffee morning, as I promised a few weeks ago. I am not suggesting you bake a cake, but maybe if you go to the shops before now and Friday you could pick up a packet of biscuits or two and get your colleagues to make a donation.  Or alternatively if someone in your office does do something to support the event that you dig in to your pockets and chuck in that loose change.

That £7.5 million raised last year is really making a differece to people like me, people who have cancer, who need all the help and support that we can get.  And let's face it, this time next year it could sadly be you, or somebody you love.

For further information on the work of Macmillan and raising money through a coffee morning click here.

Thanks - P x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you ... even if it is just a 'hi'!